Wednesday, January 6, 2010

101 in 1001

I'm a huge list person. I write lists for everything. For thing to do today, for things to do next week, for things to do next year. Honestly, if I don't write it down on a list, I will forget to do it.

I'm also a big believer in goals. I think it's so important to have goals to help you grow as a person, in your business, and in your relationships. I don't, however, love new years resolutions. I, like you, feel an unexplainable sense of optimism and new life at the beginning of each new year. But, also like you, I have a tendency to fail at following through on goals like "get in shape" "eat healthier" and "get organized."

So, instead of new years resolutions that I will never achieve, I have decided to jump on the 101 in 1001 bandwagon. I like this approach much better. The whole idea is to give yourself more than a year to accomplish a list of things. These things must be specific, measurable, and achievable within the 2.75 year time period.

Without further ado, here is my list. What's on yours?


101 in 1001 January 6, 2010 – October 3, 2012

Things to see:
1. See the 2012 Summer Olympics
2. Go to the NC Museum of Art three times (0/3)
3. See U2 in concert
4. Go skiing or snowboarding
5. Go on 3 trips out of the country (0/3)
6. Go on a roadtrip with no destination in mind
7. Go to the Caribbean
8. Go to New York
9. Go to India
10. Visit Napa/Sonoma Valley

Money things:
11. Save at least $10,000 in a year
12. Enter all business receipts into Quickbooks at the end of each month (0/34)
13. Pay off Citi card
14. Learn how to invest money
15. Have 35% of a downpayment on our next house by the end of the 1001 days
16. Have over half of our house paid for by the end of the 1001 days
17. manage investments to 15% return for a year
18. give 200 hours of time volunteering (0/200)
19. tithe regularly



Content to Cosume:
20. Drink 2 camelbak bottles of water every day (48oz) so far this is right on track!
21. Get a mani/pedi
22. Read 1 book per month (0/34) in the middle of "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years"
23. Watch all 100 AMC top 100 movies (12/100)
24. Read through the Old Testament in its entirety
25. Read through the New Testament in its entirety
26. See all movies nominated for Best Picture in the Academy Awards each year (0/3)

Physical Changes:
27. Go to Crossfit 3x per week for 6 months (0/6mo) had to put this on hold until after the BABY!
28. Do Pilates 1-2x per week for 2 months (0/2mo)
29. Train for and compete in a triathlon
30. Get thyroid condition treated and feel normal again endocrinologist says my family doctor misdiagnosed me. no idea what is going on now.
31. Whiten teeth each year (0/3) 7 days in on Crest whitestrips.. also on hold bc of BABY.
32. Complete the 100 pushups challenge
33. Use face lotion every morning and evening for 1 month (0/31)
34. Take vitamins every day for 3 months (0/3)
35. Run a mile at 7mph without stopping
36. Swim 1-2x per week for 3 months (0/3)

Things to Create:
37. Create a new blog (you're looking at it!)
38. Post on new blog 1x per week for 3 months (0/3)
39. Knit or crochet a ruffley scarf
40. Plant a vegetable garden and successfully grow tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and onions
41. Put new shelves in the laundry room
42. Move pantry to the other closet (DONE! 1.17.10)
43. Complete a self-portrait project – 1 photo a month for a year (0/12)
44. Create a new website for my fine art photography
45. Collaborate with Scott on a new project
46. Design and print a photo book of my niece, Maddie’s, first 3 years
47. Design and print a photo book for a cause and donate proceeds to a non-profit

New Things to Learn:
48. Learn to speak French (again)
49. Learn to speak Spanish
50. Learn how to make pastry
51. Learn how to make soufflé
52. Learn how to cut photo mats
53. Create my own recipe for a baked good
54. Try a new recipe for dinner every week for 2 months (3/8) Lemony Chicken with Cilantro Sauce - success! Roasted Cabbage with Bacon - success! Roasted Cauliflower - yuck!
55. Take a cake decorating class
56. Take a flower arranging class
57. Go to a wine tasting
58. Make 10 different kinds of bread (0/10)
59. Learn to make really good hummus from scratch (found a recipe - does anyone know where to get Tahini?)
60. Learn how to make homemade cheese

Risks to Take: i know some of these aren't really risks... couldn't think of where else to put them
61. Start a family - well, this was a surprise, but I'm 11 weeks in on my first pregnancy!
62. Stay in my pajamas all day once a quarter (0/11)
63. Invest $1000
64. Nap once a month (1/34)

Relationships:
65. Go on a date with Joel once a week
66. Have a photoshoot of me and Joel - DONE! Had the most fun and cute session with rachel!
67. Send a care package to my sister once a quarter (0/11)
68. Call Rachel once a month (2/34)
69. Send cards to friends and family once a quarter for 1 year (0/11)
70. Call our parents once per month (1/34)
71. Go on a double date once a month with friends (0/34)
72. Keep Maddie 2-3 times per month or see her once a week

Things to Own:
73. Buy an Alien Bee light system
74. Find a great makeup foundation
75. Buy a paper shredder and shred old papers and documents
76. Buy a Canon 5D Mark II
77. Buy a tilt-shift lens
78. Buy a 35mm fixed lens
79. Get a second monitor for my editing computer
80. Get a pair of designer jeans
81. Own a taser - joel got one for me... but i haven't really touched it yet.

Business Goals:
82. Quit my part time job
83. Book 25 weddings in a year (9/25)
84. Have another wedding featured in a magazine
85. Publish a book
86. Have to turn down as many weddings as I shoot in a year
87. Photograph a band
88. Go on a documentary trip
89. Spend 3 hours per week being inspired
90. Conceptualize a photo shoot and shoot it
91. Theme a vintage shoot
92. Go to 3 photography workshops (1/3) (Spread the Love Tour by Justin & Mary Marantz)

Pieces of Paper
93. Journal at least once a week
94. Create a will
95. Record serial numbers for the stuff we own (DONE 1/9/10)
96. Make a list of 100 things that make me happy (0/100)
97. Get life insurance

Random
98. Buy a few investment wardrobe pieces that are classic and timeless
99. Buy a Raleigh coupon book and use at least 1/3 of the coupons in it
100. Participate in the MS150 bike ride again
101. Make a custom design for my blog

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is an extensive and detailed list! Makes my "Do stuff better" goal sheet for 2010 look a little flimsy.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment. I agree. It was like I was in third grade all over again when I was afraid to look out the window only to have my hopes dashed when, once again, the winter weather missed us. I have a good feeling that this is going to be our year for snow though. We'll see!

    Nice to "meet" you. Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete